Northern Uganda: a starting point

In my efforts to pay more regular attention to the ongoing conflict in northern Uganda, I've been spending a lot of time on these web sites:

The Uganda Conflict Action Network has been posting near-daily updates about the conflict since June 2005.

A month-by-month description of the peace talk process and of the status of peace and reconciliation (these overlap a lot; anyone know why they aren't merged?) can be found at USAID's Virtual Presence Post: Northern Uganda.

The Beyond Juba Project looks beyond the peace talks and the conflict in northern Uganda to address larger issues of sustainable national reconciliation. It is a joint initiative of the Refugee Law Project, the Human Rights and Peace Center and the Makerere University Faculty of Law.

A photo essay about the six days photographer Erin Baines spent with the LRA in Nabanga, Sudan in August 2006: "How does one prepare to meet the world's most wanted man? Should I have at least brushed my hair that day? He told me it was nice to meet me. I think I smiled stupidly the whole time. It hardly seemed appropriate."

I also wrote earlier about my northern Uganda reading list. If a book and a cup of coffee are more your style, this is a good place to start.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment